Kiln Wash - Can I keep in Refrigerator?

This forum is for questions from newcomers to kiln-forming.

Moderator: Tony Smith

RachelM

Kiln Wash - Can I keep in Refrigerator?

Post by RachelM »

Mixed up a mayonnaise jar of kiln wash (Bullseye) in late December. Jar (plastic) was clean and I have used jar for about the past year. Made about 3/4 of jar of kiln wash as I WAS going to kiln wash a bunch of shelves. Key word here is WAS. :roll:

Life got in the way. Went to kiln wash today and had little black spots of mold (?) floating on top. Better safe than sorry...so I threw out the jar and mixed up a fresh batch.

Mixed up kiln wash in kept inside in my laundry room. A/C from house but not in that room specifically.

Living in South Florida, a lot of things go moldy. :(

Question - Can I keep mixed up batch in refrigerator. Of course jar is clearly marked and I have no kids (just a husband who is really not too big on going into the kitchen). Do you think it will affect the properties? :?:

Rachel
imaglassydiva@aol.com
Morganica

Re: Kiln Wash - Can I keep in Refrigerator?

Post by Morganica »

You can, just not sure why you'd want to?

Sounds like you want to make smaller batches that can be used more quickly. In my studio, older, premixed kilnwash doesn't work as well as fresh anyway. If you really want to prevent mold, refrigeration probably won't be as effective as adding 3-4 drops of bleach to the water.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Judd

Post by Judd »

Don't throw it out. You're just wasting money. It's not like you're eating it or anything. Don't put in in the fridge. God knows how it would taste in pancake batter. I mix mine and leave it. If it dries out, add more water. If it has mold, add a little bleach.
Laurie Spray

Post by Laurie Spray »

Mix it up and put it thru a fine strainer......I have a bucket mixed for months.....I strain mine once in a while just to remove brush hairs....
Laurie Spray

New website!! Http://bonnydoonfusedglasstools.com
Maker of stainless steel rings,pattern bar formers, pot melt pots, and Bottomless Molds
glass: http://lauriespray.blogspot.com
Bob

Post by Bob »

Hi Laurie,

I found that really rinsing the haik brush after washing shelves reduced the amount of hair lost from the brush. If the brush dries with lots of kiln wash in it then the hairs seem to break off when the brush is next used.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,
Bob