Pricing for interior designers and design firms

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

aliceRI

Pricing for interior designers and design firms

Post by aliceRI »

Well, I have been contacted by some different design firms who have seen different pieces online asking for a "designers discount" if they purchase a piece for a client. Not sure how to approach this. Is a wholesale rate of 50% off retail common in these cases? What are your practices? I would like to get more than 50% but don't want to be greedy as I do work with galleries who take 40-50%. And do you get paid up-front or send an invoice? I'd like to hear what your practice is. Thank you.
Bert Weiss

Re: Pricing for interior designers and design firms

Post by Bert Weiss »

Any published retail price is a keeper, unless that price is discounted to the end buyer.

I tell people that everything is custom including pricing. This way, I never get stuck with one person thinking they got a different deal.

There is a class of people who hang a virtual designer shingle and then ask for discounts. You need to weed them out.

If you are selling an item at a gallery, and a designer wants to sell the same item to a client, you can negotiate who gets what.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

aliceRI wrote:Well, I have been contacted by some different design firms who have seen different pieces online asking for a "designers discount" if they purchase a piece for a client. Not sure how to approach this. Is a wholesale rate of 50% off retail common in these cases? What are your practices? I would like to get more than 50% but don't want to be greedy as I do work with galleries who take 40-50%. And do you get paid up-front or send an invoice? I'd like to hear what your practice is. Thank you.
Absolutely don't give 50%. You have costs in the transaction, from invoicing to packing and shipping to processing payments to maintaining your website.

Here's one company that sells glass art and gives a 12% discount: http://www.1020glassart.com/interior-de ... discounts/

Here's another that offers a maximum of 30% discount to trade professionals: http://www.artfulhome.com/servlet/Guild ... DesignPros

I wouldn't discount any more than 30% and would consider 10% to 20% reasonable for a one-off purchase. If they purchase more, you might consider a bit higher, but never go as high as 50%.

Collect the money up front if at all possible. If you must send an invoice, get three references first and make sure they have a good paying history before you ship the goods. Insure the work and get delivery confirmation or tracking when you ship. The buyer pays shipping (which can be considerable!).

If you're at all nervous or if your research on the company doesn't indicate a legitimate, on-going business, then absolutely make sure you get the money up front before you ship anything. If you can't take credit cards or Paypal, have them send a check and don't ship the goods until the check clears.
Brock

Post by Brock »

I never gave a designer a discount more than 15%.
aliceRI

Post by aliceRI »

Thanks guys. This gives me a great perspective. I would like to work with professionals in the field, if possible, but don't want to give it away either. I was given a 40% discount by well-known lighting craftspeople being that I was an artist and they were artists and was overjoyed by that. Didn't know if there was an inter-professional code I needed to abide by.
carol green

Post by carol green »

If the designer is buying my standard line: 1 piece 15% off retail, 2 pieces,20% retail 3 or more 40% off retail. my min. order with stores is 3 pieces. I do weed out the designers without a storefront or website.
carol green
aliceRI

Post by aliceRI »

Thank you all. Very helpful.