Fiber insulation???

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Rick Wilton

Fiber insulation???

Post by Rick Wilton »

I just got a new fiber kiln 24" x 48" that has fiber blanket insulation on the sides, it's baffled in six or seven rows.

The question is does blanket folded like this provide more or less insulation than an equivalent amount of fiber board? The top and bottom are board but the sides are blanket. All the kilns I've built have board for the top and sides. I'm just not sure I like the blanket as insulation.

I got this kiln for free off the internet, and was planning on gutting it as I was told it didn't work. I replaced a relay and fixed a wire and it's 100% good to go. It has a brand new orton 3000 controller, that alone is worth $500+ .

Thoughts?
Rick Wilton
Bert Weiss

Re: Fiber insulation???

Post by Bert Weiss »

Fiber modules are good insulation, but not as durable as board. Denver, among others, uses folded modules. I would probably just use it. You could, down the road figure out how to attach board as an interior surface, especially if you feel it is under insulated.
Bert

Bert Weiss Art Glass*
http://www.customartglass.com
Furniture Lighting Sculpture Tableware
Architectural Commissions
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Rick Wilton wrote:I just got a new fiber kiln 24" x 48" that has fiber blanket insulation on the sides, it's baffled in six or seven rows.

The question is does blanket folded like this provide more or less insulation than an equivalent amount of fiber board? The top and bottom are board but the sides are blanket. All the kilns I've built have board for the top and sides. I'm just not sure I like the blanket as insulation.

I got this kiln for free off the internet, and was planning on gutting it as I was told it didn't work. I replaced a relay and fixed a wire and it's 100% good to go. It has a brand new orton 3000 controller, that alone is worth $500+ .

Thoughts?
You should transfer some of your good luck to me? Nice work...
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Rick Wilton

Post by Rick Wilton »

Thanks Bert,

I think I will likely replace the blanket for board. This kiln is designed similar to the denvers except that this one is built really solid, well built.

I've always watched the glassified ads here and said why doesn't anything good every come up for sale here. I went on kijiji (like craigslist) and saw this kiln for free, it was online for two weeks so I figured it HAD to be gone. Two people came and looked at it but didn't take it, sweet deal for me that's for sure.
Rick Wilton