Blogs for promotion.

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

Haydo

Blogs for promotion.

Post by Haydo »

Recent trip to Canberra was too brief but on the upside very interesting. A daughter to one of my cousins really pushed the idea that I needed to start a blog so that it coincides with work being produced to exhibit after mid-year '14. She's been to uni and also very into fashion design, She has given me a link to study options, thought I would throw it into this forum for more input.( http://www.howtostartablog.org/ ) What has also peaked my interest is that a couple we hadn't seen in years has also encouraged me to start a blog.
Can now see how the Canberra Glassworks can assist in getting what I want done. It's like the outsider has to push uphill forever to really understand where all the dots need to be for connection.
There is no chance that I would go into depth about a actual process to share with others who may have more time on their hands to take it beyond my reach because they gain ownership. So is a blog more about the inspiration, ideas, pain and joy of what one does.? Would it be wise to keep it private and only allow access to potential customers? peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
JestersBaubles

Re: Blogs for promotion.

Post by JestersBaubles »

If you are going to blog, I would make it public and post only what you feel comfortable with in that public space. A blog is another way to promote and get your work noticed -- you can't do that if it's private.

I typically post information about techniques I'm working with, reviews of books and classes, or upcoming events. Nothing groundbreaking -- it's all information that you guys know, but I have people who thank me for the posts because they have learned something. I doubt I am gaining any customers, but I like sharing whatever [little] knowledge I have with others. So for me, it is the sense of satisfaction that comes from helping (guess that's why part of my "day job" is technical writing and customer support ;)).

2 cents,

Dana W
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Blogs usually don't help much with discovery, i.e., finding new customers. There are so many blogs out there, and so much noise all over the web, that the chances of someone finding your blog and sharing it (or better, buying your work) are actually pretty remote.

But that's not why you blog. Your blog (or website, for that matter) is really more for reference. It's where you store information about your work so you and your galleries have an easy way to respond to requests for more info. (Actually, that's only one reason--there are many others).

If you've got a big show coming up, you can work with the gallery to link to your blog. Then, post small articles (with LOTS of photos) showing you getting ready for the show. I'd keep the frequency to about 2x/week up to the show, and then daily, if you can manage it. If all you can post is a photo, that's fine.

Problem with a blog is that you need to keep it up. If you stop after the show comes down, you lose most of the benefit. You'll still want to post at least every other week or so to keep up interest. So before you start one, think about how much energy you can devote to its care and feeding. If you can't, it's probably better to just post pics on your website and have done.
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Thanks Dana, Cynthia, I still have ample time before I commit to such a thing. My young adviser about starting a blog, I'm sure was about having one on hand to complete a package. At the moment it seems beyond me. peace, haydo
Life is like a raft, so be like a rat!...Challenging being a captain type rat though, going down with each ship and all!!
Haydo

Post by Haydo »

Yeah!!, I'm going to do it!! Facebook and this forum wouldn't be able to tolerate my meanderings over the next few months, I'm really enjoying the process that I've been going through to try and achieve three very different works to be completed this year. Each work is so connected to me that I feel that it will act as a platform for anyone interested or game enough to get into my head. Maybe it is more to help future Hayden's to understand the odd one, or is it at odds. No# 1 non geek geek son doesn't know it yet but he will be setting one up for me over the weekend. peace, haydo