wholesale catologs

The forum for discussion on business aspects of working with glass.

Moderator: Brad Walker

carol green

wholesale catologs

Post by carol green »

For those of you who wholesale, are you sending images of new work and pricing using email w/attachments, cd's by mail or paper info mailed? I have sort of let things slip the last 2 years(carring for mom),and I need /want to get back at it again. I used to send everything by mail and I'm not sure which way to go. I quit doing ACC in 2005.I plan on contacting some old accounts and am looking for some new ones.Any feedback would be helpfull.Thanks
carol green
Kevin Midgley

Re: wholesale catologs

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Lucky you aren't in Canada.
New anti-spam legislation comes into effect July 1,2014.
Unless you've had an ongoing business relationship with them in the last 2 years, you can't send them an email.
That includes asking permission in an email if you can send them another email.
Million dollar fine.
carol green

Post by carol green »

wow, I wonder if it will work better than our"do not call" lists.
carol green
Morganica

Post by Morganica »

Kevin, I thought those laws took effect in 2012? Are these new ones?
Cynthia Morgan
Marketeer, Webbist, Glassist
http://www.morganica.com/bloggery
http://www.cynthiamorgan.com

"I wrote, therefore I was." (me)
Kevin Midgley

Post by Kevin Midgley »

Well you'd think a Million $ fine for individuals spamming someone and 10 million for a business ought to change things.
Starting in 2017 you could personally go after the local guy pitching to clean your chimney by unwanted email.
There may be some people actually wanting to get spammed so they can collect the money.
Of course the lawyers would probably collect 90% of any judgement award.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Morganica wrote:Kevin, I thought those laws took effect in 2012? Are these new ones?
Effective July 1, 2014: http://fightspam.gc.ca/eic/site/030.nsf/eng/home

I don't see how any law will stop a spammer who lives in some random foreign country and sends out millions of emails on penis enlargement, but maybe the Canadians know something that Bill Gates didn't in 2004 when he proposed using technology to stop spam. How did that one turn out?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

carol green wrote:For those of you who wholesale, are you sending images of new work and pricing using email w/attachments, cd's by mail or paper info mailed? I have sort of let things slip the last 2 years(carring for mom),and I need /want to get back at it again. I used to send everything by mail and I'm not sure which way to go. I quit doing ACC in 2005.I plan on contacting some old accounts and am looking for some new ones.Any feedback would be helpfull.Thanks
Carol, the thread's kind of gotten off-topic with the discussion of the new Canadian law, but I don't think that has much to do with what you're asking. It doesn't apply to contacting businesses, anyway.

I assume you're talking about contacting galleries, gift shops, and similar places you used to do business with. You could send them an email and re-open the relationship that way, but you'll probably get a better response if you telephone or write a letter. Ask the gallery if they are interested in seeing new work (some won't be!) and if they are ask them how they would like to see the images -- some prefer digital online, some prefer email attachments, and some want to see actual photos. You'll stand a better chance of finding out first if they're interested in seeing your work, then following up in the way they prefer.

One other thing -- you'll find that a considerable number of galleries have changed owners or gone out of business in the past few years (certainly since 2005). It's been a rough world out there lately.

Hope this helps.
carol green

Post by carol green »

Thanks Brad,I know many of my customers have gone out of business,retired or have gone to less expensive work.I still sell work on the ArtfulHome web site,and have maintained several long time accounts. I think it will be a hard sell with new people having not seen the work in person first.Gone are the days of just ording off of photos and a nice phone chat.
carol green