Kiln Purchase

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

peterbr

Kiln Purchase

Post by peterbr »

I am thinking of purchasing a glass kiln that would have capability for annealing bead work and slumping plates, platters and bowls around the 11x 3.5 for bowls, 9in to 11 in for plates etc. Is there a kiln that people recommend for both beads and slumping? I have no idea what size is needed for this type of work, plus the heat and brands available. I have searched online but have no idea what I'm looking for.
Thanks for your help in advance..
lohman

Post by lohman »

You're going to get lots of advice. Everyone has their favorite kiln for many reasons. My advice is get the largest kiln you can afford and make sure it has a digital controller and vent to out doors. Do you plan on making some or all of your income with your kiln or will it be a hobby? I don't intend to demean your interest by calling it a hobby but it makes a difference if you expect to grow with your skills. My kiln is the KL-60 from Denver Glass <denverglass.com> It's big at 30" x 60" x 9" inside dimensions. It serves me well but I wish it were deeper than 9". When I bought this kiln about 5 years ago I didn't know about this bulletin board so didn't have access to the wealth of experience and advice you'll find here. Good luck.
peterbr

reply:

Post by peterbr »

Lohman,
thanks for the response. Is there such a thing that accomplishes both? With a front or side door but big enough to slump the items I mentioned? Not sure what size shelf is needed to accomodate these sized slumping molds. No math wiz since I am a national radio host and can't add. Also what prices am I looking at since I guess hobby is the answer to your question.
It's a hobby but a serious one. I need an outlet for my creativity.

Thanks
lohman

Post by lohman »

There are kiln manufacturers who sponsor this website. Take a look at the kilns at the top of your screen. There are both front and top loaders. I've only had experience with two kilns: the small 16 inch diameter ceramic kiln I used to make pottery and the Denver kiln I have now.

A national radio host? I listen to NPR. Have I heard you?
peterbr

how do i know what size is right for these projects

Post by peterbr »

Lohman,
Sorry to dissapoint but I do sports talk not NPR though I am a good Democrat.
How do I know what size shelf will fit these projects. how do i compute the math for it.
lohman

Post by lohman »

No problem.
Usually, the size of shelf is determined by the size of kiln. A given shelf works for any size project as long as it fits on the shelf and the shelf fits in the kiln. You can order kiln furniture to fit the kiln you buy. As far as I know no math is required other than will the kiln shelf fit inside the kiln.
charlie

Post by charlie »

you need a shelf that is at least an inch larger than your project that you are fusing. you don't need a shelf for molds, in that the mold can sit on kiln posts which sit on the floor of the kiln.
peterbr

kiln size

Post by peterbr »

charlie or whom it may concern

am i going on the inside dimensions of the kiln to determine the size mold that will fit. for instance a 16 in shelf. would that enable me to slump a 11 x 3.5 in bowl etc.
thanks
charlie

Re: kiln size

Post by charlie »

peterbr wrote:charlie or whom it may concern

am i going on the inside dimensions of the kiln to determine the size mold that will fit. for instance a 16 in shelf. would that enable me to slump a 11 x 3.5 in bowl etc.
thanks
probably. it depends.

you need a shelf that is big enough to make a blank large enough for the project you want, plus 1". a very shallow mold 11" in length needs just a little over 11" in width. a very deep mold 11" in length might need a 15" wide piece of glass to make a final 11" bowl. furthermore, you'd have to bend this in multiple stages, using a large enough mold each time but going from shallow to deep. this is because if the glass hangs over the edge of the mold, it may not get pulled into the mold before it slumps over the outside of the mold.

you can, carefully, use a mold that comes within 1/2" of the side elements. if you're not careful, you'll get either mold or glass thermal shocking, or both, since the edges may be hotter than the middle because of the nearness of the elements.
Jonnym_

Arrow Springs AF1813C

Post by Jonnym_ »

Arrow Springs makes a line of Kilns that are convenient to use for both fusing and annealing. They have a flip up door, easy to place just finished beads still on the mandrel, and the entire top opens up clamshell style for fusing, slumping. The 18" x 13" model w/controller was the no brainer choice for me. Much bigger than I need at the (newbie) moment, but the cost of going from the smaller models like a 9" x 9" that would do me for now to the relatively big one was only a 20 percent increase in total cost. I end up with a Kiln that is nearly 3 times bigger. Just a thought, and good people to work with is a bonus that has real value.

JonnyM
JonnyM It's about the music