Powder Frit

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Terry Gallentine

Powder Frit

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I am ball milling some glass down to use as a frit for fusing and I have a question. I have had a problem with milkiness in my clear powder and I assume that it is because I have not been screening out the extremely fine particles out of powder that I have run through an 80 mesh screen. Does anyone know what the particle size is for most of the commercial frits that are called "powder"?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: Powder Frit

Post by Brad Walker »

Bullseye's powder is 0.2mm and smaller, which is what goes through an 80 mesh screen.
Terry Gallentine

Thanks Brad. Do you have any ideas of how to get rid of the super fine particles?
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

My first thought was what was causing them. Wonder if you're pulverizing more than Bullseye does.

As for getting rid of them, I think I would try rinsing the frit before you separate it into sizes.

Alternatively, get a finer mesh screen and try sifting them out. I know that Thompson Enamel will make different size screens.
Terry Gallentine

It was my first attempt at ball milling some Easy Melt cullet from Wissmach and I probably did pulverize it too much. I was used to using scrap that I had to quench and stamp to make a gravel before I milled it and that took quite a while to mill down. I will try less time in the mill. I will probably try a wash and rinse of the frit to see if that eliminates most of the super fine particles.
Thanks again Brad