A consistent layer of powder frit?

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Terry Gallentine

A consistent layer of powder frit?

Post by Terry Gallentine »

I need to overlay some imagery on glass with a layer of clear powder frit. I need to achieve a thin layer that is consistent in thickness across the entire piece and that is repeatable on other pieces. I am contemplating dry screening the powder with a 110 mesh screen but I thought that I would see if anyone has any other ideas of how to do this.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Re: A consistent layer of powder frit?

Post by Brad Walker »

A dry screen print is probably the easiest way.
Terry Gallentine

Thanks Brad. I just thought that I would see if anybody had any other possibilities.
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

The only other option I can think of is to sift by hand. I'm not capable of doing that evenly enough, but my wife is.

If you were laying down a thick layer you could use a screed (like a straightedge) to even it out, but that won't work for a thin layer.
Terry Gallentine

Yeah, I have tried hand sifting but even with larger sifters it isn't even enough. I will try the screen technique and hopefully it will do the job.
Terry Gallentine

I just thought that I would mention that the powder screening worked well to get the even layer that I needed. I did learn though that you need either a new screen or one that is perfectly clean for consistency. The first screen that I used had a little haze in it left over from wet media screening and it left an uneven deposit of frit.