Cermaguard and drop dish question

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

Nanette

Cermaguard and drop dish question

Post by Nanette »

I have done this procedure a lot: 3 layers of BE clear already fused and drop through cermaguard - no problems. This time the glass that was on the cermaguard has divit - why do you think that would happen? I did and always pre-fired the cermaguard to 1400. Do you think I should put kiln wash on the cermaguard? I took the piece to 1325 and held for about 10 min. till it dropped about 2" and then annealled at 960 for 45 min. Any ideas out there?

Thanks in advance,

Nanette
Nanette

Post by Nanette »

I may have figured out what happened.....the white coating on the cermaguard flaked off a few days after fusing so maybe that is why I got the cloudy look. Just thinking out loud!

Nanette
Richard Dubois

Post by Richard Dubois »

I've also been playing with ceramaguard tiles for drop rings lately and my most recent one sounds just like yours.

The paint on the tiles does flake off, but I had not noticed it on the glass before this clear piece I just did. It looks like a cloudy white on the underside of the rim, and has resisted attempts to remove it so far. I'm wondering if I should try paint remover!

Richard
Nanette

Post by Nanette »

I haven't tried to see if the cloudiness will come off! I do want to refire the piece to drop it a little farther and I was wondering if the cloudiness would go away then...maybe it won't! I don't know that paint remover would do anything...I figured it was in the glass now, not on the glass. I also wondered if sandblasting would take off the cloud or maybe even etching cream would take it off. So many ideas and so little time!

Nanette