Slumping multiple pieces

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

deena

Slumping multiple pieces

Post by deena »

Hi,
I just recieved my new evenheat 13" coffin kiln. After going from a hotbox to this is unbelievable. (very happy). My question is can you do multiple slumpings at the same time as long as the pieces are the same thickness. I would like to do mutilple candle holders, ect. I have been doing stained glass for years and just getting into fused glass. My husband thinks I have become addicted.....

Thanks for all of your help. The archives are wonderful. Also CWG book has been very helpful.

Deena
Anea

Post by Anea »

Hi Deena-

You should be able to do multiple slumps at one time provided you are using the same type of mold. Like 10 floral formers at a time. I do it all the time. Have never really tried with different mold shapes though. Have fun :lol:

Anea
Tony Smith

Post by Tony Smith »

One potential problem to be aware of is that the Evenheat has both side and top elements, so you might find the glass closest to the side elements slumping faster than the glass toward the middle of the kiln. This would probably be more evident if you were draping over floral formers than if you were slumping into bowl molds.

Tony
The tightrope between being strange and being creative is too narrow to walk without occasionally landing on both sides..." Scott Berkun
gone

Post by gone »

Hi Deena,

I also have the Evenheat 2541. When I did Bullseye's "know your Kiln" exercise (highly recommended) I found the center area fired hotter. I was able to turn the center lid elements down with the infinite switch, but if you have a controller mounted to the kiln you may have to work around the temperature differences. There is still one area that doesn't fire as hot, so I slump shallower molds there or pieces using black glass. I'm just way to frugal/environmentally concious to fire a half full kiln. The Evenheat doesn't always live up to it's name. I think you can probably track down the tip sheet about knowing your kiln on the Bullseye website.

Hope this helps,
Els
Diane Anderson

Post by Diane Anderson »

I slump multiple pieces all the time -- both in a Vcella kiln and the 22" Paragon. You need to know your hotter areas, and use molds accordingly. I will stilt them in a staggered fashion over one another. FOr example, a couple of 8" shallow molds on the bottom on short stilts, then a large mold raised up over the top of the 8" ones.

Saves time and money

Diane
deena

Post by deena »

Thanks for your help, IThis website has been a life saver... :P
Deena