Need Info on New Skutt Hotstart Kiln

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

candala

Need Info on New Skutt Hotstart Kiln

Post by candala »

I am thinking of purchasing the just released "Skutt Hotstart" kiln. Does anyone have this and can tell me about it. Is it great, etc.? Thanks.
mybigsister

Post by mybigsister »

I got my Hot Start in March and love it. The only problem I have had is trying to slump a bowl (4 1/2 in - 5 in tall) as it broke. I called Perry at Skutt and he had me move my shelf to the bottom of the kiln with no feet to make more room between element and glass. I have made hunreds of pairs of earrings, pins, and pendants so far. I have fused compatible and non-compatible glass and have only run into problems with the non-compatible when I went to fuse and then slump a bowl and platter. It's soooooooooo much fun! I have used ceramic paints (low temp gold, platinum and copper and halo) and they all turned out beautiful. I am going to try my hand at the PMC next. I asked Perry at Skutt to make sure that neither the paints or the PMC would damage my new kiln. I use ceramic greenware which I fire in my kiln to the Slo-Fuse setting, then kilnwash, then fire at 500 degrees (this needs to be done as bowls crack from the moisture in the bisque) before laying the blank over to slump.
You can't go wrong with the price or the kiln. I have used kilnwash on my shelf and like the thinfire shelf paper better. Any other questions, just ask.......Pat in WA