ceiling tiles

This is the main board for discussing general techniques, tools, and processes for fusing, slumping, and related kiln-forming activities.

Moderators: Brad Walker, Tony Smith

charlie

ceiling tiles

Post by charlie »

my office is doing some work in our computer room, and there's a couple of broken ceiling tiles. i took one one and tossed a piece in my kiln. to my surprise, there wasn't a thing different about it after firing to fusing a couple of times, including the paint on it. there's nothing on it to indicate what it is except the number "2 09/03/96L". it comes in a 2'x2' piece with toungue and groove edges, and has a very interesting texture to the visible side, and the back is pretty smooth with occasional pitting.

anyone have any idea what it could be?
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Hi Charlie, Could it be Ceramaguard? I looked it up and it comes in 24 x24 and 24x 48 and is 5/8 in thick. It comes fisured or another texture that they have discontinued I am told. It is white on one side and muddy color on the back and smooth. I have some in my garage waiting for me to use. Mine is the supposidly discontinued design. I think what you can buy now has those little holes in the finished side. Nanc
Dani

Post by Dani »

Is it old or new tile? Not that old asbestos stuff I hope? That would explain why it's holding up so well in the kiln, but probably not what you wanted to hear! Keep us apprised.
Mira

Post by Mira »

I don't know what it is made of, but I use it to pin pieces of stained glass to prior to soldering! Keeps everything right in place. :lol:
Brad Walker
Site Admin

Post by Brad Walker »

Probably Ceramaguard, which is a commercial ceiling tile from Armstrong. Most ceiling tiles don't stand up to the heat of the kiln, but Ceramaguard does. I've used it as dam material, as mold material, and even as a shelf in a small kiln. I actually sell it on the website, more here: http://www.warmglass.com/Ceramaguard.htm

(And Nancy's right, the non-perforated is hard to find, the perforated is available in building supply stores by the case, both work the same.)
charlie

Post by charlie »

thanks, what a treasure i've found if it is. we have a large stack of these. the back isn't totally smooth, but some of the tiles have an aluminium foil backing that i'll have to peek behind to see what is there.

they're 3/4" thick. does it warp upon heating, or can it be used on posts? i may have discovered a lifetime supply of drop ring material.
Nancy Juhasz

Post by Nancy Juhasz »

Charlie, There is no aluminum on the back of Ceramaguard. If it is YES you have a life time supply. Good find. Nanc